[OSM-talk-ie] FYI: N Route re-designations as Motorways

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 19:59:04 BST 2009

2009/7/15 Thomas Bibby <thomas at bibby.ie>:
>> N7: Limerick Bypass section, but how much of it?
>
> From the roundabout at start of the dual carriageway bypass (junction
> with under construction motorway), to the R511 overbridge (a few
> hundred metres before the N7/N20 interchange roundabout, strangely)

Well that's just daft. I certainly won't be tagging any motorway
starts that occur in the middle of nowhere, as it's not useful data.
Is a driver really supposed to be able to drive right up to a
badly-located chopsticks sign and _then_ worry about being prohibited
from going any further.

> The SI [1] says from 660m south of the N7/N20 roundabout, which is
> about mid-way between the roundabout and the first offramp on the N20
> (interestingly enough this offramp got a single blue sign showing the
> exit, none anywhere else on the N20), to where the N20 branches off
> and the N21 goes straight on.

Thanks for the reference. I think we'd be well-served to snap these
values to the nearest junction. Anything else is just daft.

Dermot