[OSM-talk-ie] [OSM-talk] open street map - what's in it for you?

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Fri May 1 16:10:49 BST 2009

2009/5/1 Ken Guest <ken at linux.ie>:
> A few days ago I drove into a new housing estate to add it to the map of the
> locality.
>
> After explaining to a concerned resident what I was at (free-as-in-freedom
> maps, no trap roads, accuracy etc) , I was asked a rather
> Life-of-Brian-esque question:
>
> "yes but, what's in it for you?"
>
> Has anyone else been asked similar questions, and what was your response?

It's a long-term investment, once there's a free map, other projects
can spend less time looking for map data and less money on it -> they
have more time / money for actual features -> products are either
cheaper or better -> new, even cooler projects can start sooner and
with more to base on -> { N iterations } -> teleportation and travel
to Mars -> win.

Cheers