[OSM-talk-ie] (Out of) copyright maps in Ireland

Karl Grant karlgrant06 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 15:08:30 BST 2009

Hi all,
Just trying to figure out if I can use old maps as a base for OSM. During my
research I have found an OSI site www.irishhistoricmaps.ie which provides the
same (pre 1900) for sale. But its terms state that all maps are copyright of
OSI.

I found this in the Statute book
Quote:
     36.—Sections 24 to 35 shall not apply to Government or Oireachtas
copyright or to the copyright of prescribed international organisations.
End Quote

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/act/pub/0028/sec0191.html

(4) Government copyright in a work shall expire 50 years from the end of the
calendar year in which the work was made.

Anyone got any more information on this?

Karl