[OSM-talk-ie] IIA - Digitise The Nation, 17-21 May. Promotion Opp?

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Thu Apr 29 09:59:16 BST 2010

On 19/04/10 19:04, Richard Cantwell wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> The Irish Internet Association (IIA) are running a week long series of promotions and events aimed at the general public with the aim of raising the profile of the Irish Internet industry (their members, effectively)  It's running in May, from Monday 17th to Friday 21st, all across the country.
>
> I think participating in the week would be a good way of getting the OSM message out there and possibly recruiting more volunteers.
>
> I have emailed the IIA about potentially running one or more mapping parties as part of the week and they were very positive indeed.
>
> I would be interested in your thoughts. I am intending to revert to the IIA this week.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Cantwell

Hi Richard,

Sounds like a great idea, and I'm willing to help if I can.

Here are some ideas for things we could do. Any feedback?

(a) Tradition mapping party.

Your bog standard mapping party. Where would we have it? Dublin city
centre? Several all over the country? Do we have the numbers for it?
Could we realistically do a proper mapping party in a weekday evening?

(b) Intro 'walking mapping party'

Similar to what happened at re:public. A group of about a dozen people
walked around Dublin together with some walking papers and iphone mapzen
and did a loose mapping party. We got to add some new stuff to the map,
and the new people (of which there were many) were able to see what
happens and talk about OSM

(c) Talks/tutorials about OSM

larryone and I did an impromptu lightening talk about OSM at OpenJam. It
was well recieved. We could do something similar.

At the mapping party at TOG, I was talking to brianh about lots of
stuff, showing them how to add relations and routes, and stuff.
Sometimes if someone who knows a bit sits down with someone who's
starting out. It can be better than throwing someone at the wiki! :P

(d) OSM Hacking session

Bunch of people, laptops, internet, open up keepright, or dupenodes, and
start hacking on it?

(e) OSM social=yes?

Pub/Dinner meet for OSM and related people somewhere. Sit down, talk, chat.

(f) Something else ??

The 17-21 May covers the weekdays only, not the weekend. Would it be
possible to have something on the weekend as part of this event?

I have a script that can email people who have edited within a certain
area. If anyone wants to do an event in your area and wanna message
nearby users, gimmie a shout.

Any comments?

Rory