[OSM-talk-ie] Dublin City Irish Place Names

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 13:37:06 GMT 2010

2010/1/8 Nick Burrett <nick at sqrt.co.uk>:
> 2010/1/8 Larry O'Neill <larryoneill at gmail.com>:
>> Would we have to get permission from them to use it?
>
> I'll can e-mail them and ask.
>
> If we can, then it a script could be written to add the name:ga tags
> on streets that is missing the info.

If we think the names will match the Logainm ones (and I'd be amazed
if they didn't) then we can save time and effort by just using the
data set that logainm are already giving us. But we've been holding
off on doing a "real" logainm import until we have a declaration in
writing from the data owners. To make this more likely, we chose to
adopt an area, import the Irish names, then show off an output
(ideally an Irish slippy map, though a Garmin one is easy too). What
we don't want is for a civil servant who can't see the benefit to give
us an 11th hour "no", better to give him something tangible to make it
a no-brainer.

Oh, and Dublin is probably a bit large for our test ground. We ideally
want somewhere where we can be confident of having no English visible
at all on the localised map.

Dermot