[OSM-talk-ie] Rewording tertiary and unclassified in Wiki

Andrew McCarthy me at andrewmccarthy.ie
Mon Mar 15 12:59:33 GMT 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 09:57:01AM +0000, Dermot McNally wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I agree that a reform is merited, and I think that most of your
> changes are sound.
>
> One, I think, should be reworded:
>
> On 15 March 2010 09:03, Andrew McCarthy <me at andrewmccarthy.ie> wrote:
>
> > Proposed:
> >        Local "L" roads whose importance for through traffic is quite
> >        high. This can be the case both in urban and rural areas. The
> >        choice of applying "tertiary" or "unclassified" in Ireland is
> >        subjectively chosen by you, the mapper.
>
> I think the subjective element is overstated. I also think that the
> known subdivisions of local roads by importance can help us:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Roads_in_Ireland#Local_Road_numbering

Ah, had completely forgotten about that.

> My suggestion is that we reproduce the details of the 3 types of local
> road and suggest that the Local Primary and Local Tertiary roads be
> tagged as tertiary and unclassified respectively. For the local
> secondaries we could suggest one of two approaches:
>
> 1. Pick either tertiary or unclassified. Drawback is that I'm guessing
> we have insufficient information to help us judge now which to
> suggest.
>
> 2. Fall back to "mapper's choice" based on significance for through traffic.

I think that, until we know more L-numbers and get a feel for them, the
latter is more appropriate. It's easy, as you say, to automatically
convert them to a particular choice at a later date if we want.

I'll have a go at incorporating your wording about primary/secondary/
tertiary along with L roads of unknown ranking into the existing layout
of the highway pages.

Cheers,

Andrew