[OSM-talk-ie] Corine Import - update

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 00:59:13 GMT 2011

Dear fellow mappers,

I've updated the Corine Import wiki page based on the progress of our
tests so far:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_Corine_2006_Import

The quick version - we have done an end-to-end test of the import on a
replica OSM-server:
http://apidev2.openstreetmap.ie

If you haven't seen any of the Corine preview maps so far, go and have
a look, it's very pretty.

Having got to this stage, all of the big problems are solved. Give or
take a little polishing of the import scripts, we could readily import
this into the real OSM database any time we wished. So all that
remains is to make sure that the community is happy with what we are
doing and with what it will mean for their mapping efforts in the
future. The big issues here are:

* Are you happy that this stuff is good?

* Are you comfortable with how the import will change your day-to-day
mapping experience?

So I urge you all to use the test environment to play at editing the
new richer map. Full(ish) details of how are here:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_Corine_2006_Import#Test_Editing

...But if you can't quite make it work, make some noise here or on IRC
and you will be helped. Our goal should be to make sure that no Irish
mapper is surprised to one day start a mapping session and to be
confused and intimidated by lots more data than was there the day
before. Far better that we all get scared and confused in this
sandbox, which we don't have to worry about breaking.

So have fun and please do provide your feedback.

Cheers,
Dermot