[OSM-talk-ie] Corine Import - update

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 22:19:58 GMT 2011

On 2/8/11, Dermot McNally <dermotm at gmail.com> wrote:
> * Are you happy that this stuff is good?

It obviously isn't perfect, but it's a great step forward and I'm
happy to manually fix things once the import is done. I looked at
Jenkinstown woods, which I know well, and that particular example fits
the general feel I have of the corine data.

About that, will there be a tool to look for overlapping corine/old
data, so that they can be manually checked ? Or should we just look
for corine:reviewed=no tags ?

> * Are you comfortable with how the import will change your day-to-day
> mapping experience?

I haven't had time to properly play with this yet (hopefully this
week, but don't wait for me :p) and I haven't created multipoligons or
relations before (but I'm happy to learn). A few questions already,
though :

* are relations like
http://apidev2.openstreetmap.ie/browse/relation/1405521 one part of
the "big meadow polygon covering all of Ireland" you mentioned in a
previous email ?

* will any and all "landuse=foobar" zones from now on be part of a
relation instead of a simple closed way ? Is that so that no gap exist
between different landuse= zones ?

* what is the technical reason of, say
http://apidev2.openstreetmap.ie/browse/way/96795458 and
http://apidev2.openstreetmap.ie/browse/way/96813263 being two
different ways instead of one ?

* When we'll manually merge corine and existing data in some area, in
the case where the old data is best, should we modify corine data to
fit the existing polygon and then remove that one, or delete the
corine poly and then incorporate the old poly into the corine
multipoly ?

I'm sure most of those questions are due to me being a newbee
regarding relations rather than any fault of the proposed import,
sorry.

> So I urge you all to use the test environment to play at editing the
> new richer map. Full(ish) details of how are here:

I suppose any edit we make to http://apidev2.openstreetmap.ie/ will be
thrown away at import time, so that we can fearlessly play with and
break the data ?

Thanks again for the consciencious work you're putting into this.