[OSM-talk-ie] Two out-of-copyright maps of Ireland now available for OSM usage.

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 08:50:06 BST 2011

On 8 October 2011 21:24, Donal Diamond <donal.diamond at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks to the National Library of Scotland (NLS), we now have two maps
> of Ireland available for OSM usage.

It's worth saying out loud that this is something that we have been
sorely missing in the Irish community, so Donal's work falls into the
category of stunningly awesome.

A few examples of what's possible with these maps that was difficult before:

* Tracing and/or naming rivers, lakes etc.

* Improving our county boundaries

* Fixing the locations of place nodes that were imported from GNS but
never adjusted.

* Replacing place-nodes that _were_ adjusted, but by users who have
not yet accepted the new Contributor Terms. We have, at a guess,
several hundred of these.

Just note that, as Donal mentions, the alignment is neither perfect
nor uniform, so you need to recalibrate the background imagery
frequently, particularly for county boundaries. Anybody not sure how
to do this, please ask for assistance here.

Once again, fair play!

Dermot