[OSM-talk-ie] asking DoD for military border info

Larry O'Neill larryoneill at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 15:03:40 GMT 2012

Ok, second draft, some spelling corrections (Thanks Tom) and few additions.
Are there other agencies or organisations other than Veolia/Luas that I can
mention?

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to you with regard to requesting information about the borders
of military lands in Ireland.

I am involved in a mapping project called Open Street Map, which is in the
process of building a freely distributable and editable map of the world.
We have a rather complete map of much of Ireland, with urban areas and most
national and regional roads covered.
Our maps are currently being used at all Luas stops in Dublin, and interest
has been shown form other organisations.
The project has proven to be rather popular amongst hillwalkers, as we are
including tracks and paths that may not be available on other maps.
There is currently ongoing work on mountainviews.ie to provide maps based
on our data.

It is with this in mind that I am asking about the availability of
information on the borders of military lands.
Having grown up in the Glen of Imaal, I am rather familiar with the
artillery range there and I am aware that the border has changed on a
number of occasions over the l
ast number of years.
We do have the range marked on our map, but unfortunately the accuracy of
the border is questionable at best.
The same is true of many military facilities in this country.
In the interests of both the safety of hillwalkers using our map, and the
completeness of our map, I am asking if the Department of Defense would be
able to supply us
with boundary information.

We are unable to use any data from the Ordnance Survey of Ireland for
copyright reasons, as our map and data are being distributed freely.
If you would be able to help us, it would be greatly appreciated by
ourselves in Open Street Map and the many users of our maps.

Yours Sincerely
Larry O'Neill
OSM
bla bla bla