[OSM-talk-ie] Re Hiking Trails

Simon Stewart sstewart04 at mountainviews.ie
Mon Feb 20 12:22:08 GMT 2012

All

I'd like you to be aware of the newly made public track sharing feature of MountainViews.ie
http://mountainviews.ie/track/report/

This is encouraging people to share tracks from their own GPS units for public use.

Currently it does what it says, that is share tracks, a record of where you went.  This is not necessarily what is required for a map since the tracks aren't necessarily on tracks and are not necessarily optimised much.  The latter issue may be resolved in future.

However they are definitely not tracings from other imagery, OS or from a GIS system but members original GPS tracks.

MountainViews would be happy to discuss what use if any could be made of this data.

MountainViews has in the past submitted data about mountain summits to OSM.  This data is continually improving in horizontal accuracy as new and improved position readings come in.
Recently we have started taking more exact readings using a modern Trimble GPS which is accurate to around .1m  (horizontal and vertical).  Data from this will be made available to OSM

All the best
Simon Stewart.