[OSM-talk-ie] Kerry Mappers / Cycle mapping

keith keith at vool.ie
Mon Oct 1 23:16:18 BST 2012

Hey,

Thanks for all the help and advice,

Sorry I have been meaning to post/reply before now, but I have been
reading the messages !

The event went well, considering there was not much osm experience,
there was a good mix of people, even a couple of kids. Not every one had
GPS units so we split into groups, and divided up the town.

What I thought was great was that some of the people who came along had
no idea what the event was about, and I think my description of the
objectives and intro to osm may have went over some heads, but once they
had a mission, ie locate all the bike parking in town it was great,
people came up with obscure locations I had no idea of.

We managed to map [almost] all of the town, some of this has still to be
uploaded but we have the info and traces.

I just threw up a couple of snaps here, will flesh out a blog post in
time. There was about ~15 at the start for the mapping and 6 of us
retired to the pub to upload the data.

http://kerrybicyclefestival.org/news/

The main issue we came up with was regarding bike lanes, even after
looking at this further I am still not much the wiser.

Maybe someone can advise...

The first issue was that most of the lane did not run the whole length
of the street, we worked out how to break way thanks to some one irc
[cheers ! if you are reading this]
In many cases, a lane would appear on one side of the road run for a bit
then and then another lane would appear on the other side [ie lanes on
both side ] before returning  to one side again
eg   _____======¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
I presume it is best to split these up ?
But the main issue was with tagging, it is very confusing altogether
[cycleway:highway highway:path cycleway:bicycle=designated cycleway=lane
bicycle=designated etc. ] is there an Irish specific guide anywhere ?

I have started to put together a page that pulls the osm data for the
area and plots the cycle related ways and features on a map, it is
pretty crude at the moment but will post it when I get round to tidying
it up a bit .

Cheer again for the help,

Keith