[OSM-talk-ie] Mapping of farmland

Webmaster webmaster at killyfole.org.uk
Mon Nov 25 15:19:47 UTC 2013

My apology’s, the choice of wording was open to different interpretation.
I am looking for feedback from how other mappers how they would deal with
it.

My question is really about what should I do with this information (for
example someone opens a Note).  I have no way of verifying if it is
correct or totally made up.  What if the name is offensive or has an
alternative meaning in say another language?  How do we deal with this
information?  For example, there is currently an open note (
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?note=52257 ), I don't know what to do with
this, and have just been ignoring it, in hope someone else picks it up.

How far do we go?  Currently, I map features if more than one family in
the area used the same name or if it has historic value.  However, if its
only used by a few people of the same family i.e. (top field, side field,
Marys field, Paddys field)  I do question if these belong in OSM?  I can
see the important of say “Mill Field” if it was the site of an old mill or
something similar.   Do you understand what Im asking?