[OSM-talk-ie] Mapping of farmland

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 22:19:25 UTC 2013

On 25/11/2013, Webmaster <webmaster at killyfole.org.uk> wrote:
> My question is really about what should I do with this information (for
> example someone opens a Note).  I have no way of verifying if it is
> correct or totally made up.  What if the name is offensive or has an
> alternative meaning in say another language?  How do we deal with this
> information?  For example, there is currently an open note (
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?note=52257 ), I don't know what to do with
> this, and have just been ignoring it, in hope someone else picks it up.

In a case like this, ask for clarifications. If the note still doesn't
make sense after a while, it's better to close it. Notes that come
from anonymous user but need à survey are pretty useless.

> How far do we go?  Currently, I map features if more than one family in
> the area used the same name or if it has historic value.  However, if its
> only used by a few people of the same family i.e. (top field, side field,
> Marys field, Paddys field)  I do question if these belong in OSM?  I can
> see the important of say “Mill Field” if it was the site of an old mill or
> something similar.   Do you understand what Im asking?

IMHO, if a feature has a name that is only relevant to my family, it
doesn't belong in osm (which tag is used doesn't really matter). I
might map my "bike shed" and "winter garden", but I wont tag a name.
The same way that I dont tag "my favorite cafe" even if that's how I
always refer to it.

What is tricky with those farm field names is that we dont know wether
they are relevant beyond the familly. Some certainly look like they
aren't, others might well be. But it's important to give the mapper
the benefit of the doubt. They know the area better; they might not
know the osm dos and dont as well.

If after checking with the contributors it appears that the names are
valid, perhaps loc_name would be a better key than name ?