[OSM-talk-ie] Talk-ie Digest, Vol 58, Issue 2

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 13:45:33 UTC 2014

On 03/03/2014, John M. <mackjohn at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Is their certain tags that we should use to indicate townlands,

See this JOSM preset: http://maps.openstreetmap.ie/josm/irishboundaries.xml
If you aren't using JOSM, you should still be able to read it to
understand the best-practice tagging, namely a relation with
type=boundary boundary=administrative admin_level=10 place=locality
locality=townland name=Foostown.

> and
> when you say that certain percent is done is this down to house/building
>  level or is area tagged.

Just that the area of the townland/civil parish/barony is defined, not
wether mapping inside that area has reached a certain level.

> looking forward to meeting up on Saturday will be an interesting day.
> hopefully will get a nice bit of work done.

Sounds like there is going to be a townland mapping tutorial there. It
would be nice to update
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Ireland/Boundaries with all the
townland-mapping info.