[OSM-talk-ie] mapping roads

da fo43 dafo43 at outlook.com
Fri Mar 14 18:27:13 UTC 2014

Hello All, First
 time posting on the mailing list but I’ve spoken individually to a
number of you already. There can’t be too many roads still to map in
Ireland now so I guess the next step would be to improve the quality by
filling in road numbers, names, etc. So I’m going to propose a few
standards and see what people think. 1.       Map L roads 1000 to 4999 (Local Primary) as ‘Tertiary’ and all other public roads as ‘Unclassified’ or ‘Residential’.
 I know people have a lot of differing views on this and will admit that
 some local primary roads seem to have less importance than Local
Secondary and Local Tertiary roads but really I think it’s better to go
with what is designated rather than making judgement calls. On some
parts of the map all roads are being set to ‘Tertiary’ so really I don’t
 think the current system works. All other roads are mapped as per
designation so I personally don’t see why this should be any different.
 2.       Labeling roads L1000-9999 with spaces.
 I see on some parts of the map that roads are being labelled with a
space ‘L 1234’ instead of ‘L1234’. I would be in favour of sticking to
one standard, and going with the majority in not using a space.
 3.       Labeling roads over L9999.
 I propose the labeling roads listed as L12341 as L1234-1 as
this makes it easier to read and work out which branch of
primary/secondary road it belongs to. I guess this might not suit
everyone.

4.       Non public roads to be displayed as ‘Service’ or ‘Track’ only.
 It’s not always obvious if some roads are private (especially some
housing estates) but where it is known for certain they are private then
 I would be in favour of using a ‘service’ road rather than
‘residential’ or ‘unclassified’.

 Hopefully
 we can agree on some things and apologies if I have overwritten
anyone’s work recently, it’s certainly not my intention to do so and I
will go with whatever the consensus is. Lastly I was planning on making
some small updates to the Wiki page, just a general cleanup on removing
dead links and adding a sat nav section, if anyone has any objections please let me know.

David