[OSM-talk-ie] Over-zealous rejection of sources by editors

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 18:36:22 UTC 2014

On 27/03/2014, Colm Moore <colmmoore72 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Resolved note #140906
> Description
>
> "Clones Road (National Road N54)" according to Road Traffic (Special Speed
> Limits)(County Monaghan) Bye-Laws, 2014
>
> **Confirmed** by OSi, Google, Bing, NTA JP
> Created by anonymous 23 minutes ago
> Resolved by 12element 21 minutes ago
>
> This note includes comments from anonymous users which should be
> independently verified.
>
>     Resolved by 12element 21 minutes ago
>
>     Sources Prohibited.

> Both the council and Department of Transport refer to it as "Clones Road"
> and it indeed it goes to Clones.
>
> S.I. No. 53/2012 - Roads Act 1993 (Classification of National Roads)
>  Order 2012 http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/si/0053.html  places
> Clones Road west of Market Road and east of Mullaghadun and
>  Tullygrimes.
>
> Why are separate council and governmental sources, available under the
> European Communities (Re-Use of Public Sector Information) Regulations 2005
> (SI 279 of 2005) referred to as "Sources Prohibited"?
>
> I have only used OSi, Google, Bing, NTA JP as confirmation - not original
> sources. NTA JP actually misspells it as "Clones Raod" at one point, but you
> get the idea. :) Even if I only used OSi, Google, Bing, NTA JP as original
> sources, surely that is 'genuine' research', not plagiarism.

Please understand that we have to be a bit paranoiac about sources for
OSM data. We need to be "whiter than white", and the mere mention of
OSi/Google/etc raise red flags immediately. If a note mentions it,
even if it mentions other usable sources, we quickly wonder wether the
data is license-safe at all. In a sense, the fact that
$proprietary_data_provider agrees is something that we cannot use,
it's uninteresting, it's off-topic.

On the other hand, we just need one good source to accept the info.
Ideally the note author has surveyed the area. Just saying "the
by-laws declared it" isn't really a source, but a link to the proper
irish status book page (which is a source osm can use) is great and
should IMHO be accepted.

It is a bit silly that a note simplay saying "This is Clones Road"
might be taken at face value but a detailed one like yours might not.
Silly but that's how the mind works, focusing on red flag keywords.
Take it as a personal reminder that these should raise red flags in
your mind as well. Simply do not look at GM/OSi/etc when contributing
OSM data.