[OSM-talk-ie] Mobile speed camera zones

Donie Kelly donie.kelly at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 13:28:36 UTC 2014

HI Colm

I’ll try to add a simple tutorial on how I’ve done the edits to the roads to split them but basically if you click on a node on the way it will give you options to split the line. IF the line is split between the speed limit zones you can update the tags for that section then.

I’m well aware of the Garda being on any road section but I’m concentrating on the Go Safe cameras for now as they are they biggest threat. You can (used to be able to) sweet talk a Guard but you can’t with these cameras :)

The whole point of the app anyway is not to allow you to sped (you do that at your own risk), it’s to get around the fact that the Go Safe zones are deliberately in place to generate revenue and in a lot of places there is no speed limit sign. You can easily think your are in a 100 or 80 and it could be a 60. You can get done for being over the limit even though you weren’t speeding as such or wouldn’t be if it was clearly marked.

I got 6 penalty points at the start of the campaign where those cameras were introduced because I wasn’t aware of either the speed limit or the zone location. Remember, at the start they didn’t even have the signs up. It’s a total revenue generating exercise as far as I can see.

I posed a query for overpass yesterday which will show you the zones you’ve mapped. Use that to check your work.

Thanks
Donie