[OSM-talk-ie] Townland Mapping in Ireland (an update)

Dave Corley davecorley at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 03:59:34 UTC 2014

Hi all,

As most of you on this list might have guessed, given the amount of
townland mapping related mails floating about, the response to this project
has been, in a word, fantastic!

In my original mail below you can see I mentioned that based on the
progress at the time of sending, that we were on track to take 11 years to
finish....in 2025. I can happily report that based on the amount of people
recently pitching in with this project that the eta for completion is now
down to approx....

18 months!!

This is due to the fact that with a load of people chipping in,  we are now
adding just shy of 100 townlands a day to OSM. It just goes to show that
the old adage of "many hands make light work" holds true. In terms of round
numbers, we broke 12,000 yesterday so we are 20% of the way there.

Some other townland related news:

- Donal (IrlJidel) has set up a new map showing the current coverage of
townlands for the country. This map now receives hourly updates (roughly 8
mins past the hour). It also shows the county, barony & civil parish
boundaries that have been added. You can view this here -
http://dev3.openstreetmap.ie/osm/slippymap.html

- Some good news on the GSI sheets, there is a possibility of a set of
replacements for those in the works. Cormac (Boggedy) is in contact with a
library in England that may be able to supply fresh scans that we can use
to replace those GSI sheets as they are simply too difficult for most
people to use due to their quality. More news on this once there's
something to report.

- The FAQ has been updated with many questions which have come up here and
in IRC so take a look there if you have any questions, it may already be
answered for you.

- I'm planning a refresh of some of the content of the videos based on
feedback and pointers I've received. Don't worry if you have already
watched them, or were planning to, I will release a separate video with all
the updated bits collected together so you won't need to go back and watch
them again. Most of the updates relate to a bit of fine tuning or slight
corrections/improvements to the instruction so overall there will be no
huge changes

Finally, to give you some idea of where there is activity, below is a list
of all counties broken into 3 groups, completed, in progress and not being
mapped. This is purely to show that while we've had a great response, there
are still a lot of areas that some attention, so if there is anybody out
there thinking about joining in, don't worry, it's really not that
complicated once you get going.

== Completed ==

Carlow
Longford
Fermanagh

== In Progress ==

Antrim
Cavan
Clare
Donegal
Dublin
Galway
Offaly
Roscommon
Sligo
Tyrone
Westmeath (this is being mapped at an extraordinary rate)
Wicklow

== Not Being Mapped ==

Armagh
Cork