[OSM-talk-ie] Cert in GIS LIT

Donal Diamond donal.diamond at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 12:04:56 UTC 2014

On 4 November 2014 10:17, Brian O'Hare <bjohare at gmail.com> wrote:

> As I understand it they are quite geographically spread, with a few coming
> from Cork. Would be great I think
> to have them map their own areas to begin with.

For new users it would be much easier if they map areas where there is not
a lot of existing mapping data.
ie - for mapping townlands they should probable pick rural areas where the
boundaries are easy to see as they usually involve old roads, streams and
field boundaries.

Mapping townlands in OSM-data dense urban areas is a lot trickier.

You'd also need to ensure that we have already uploaded any GSGS maps they
might require prior to the course  starting.

Remember also the basic workflow is
1) Check/Fix alignment of existing OSM data so it can be used as a
reference for rectifying the GSGS sheets
2) Rectify the sheets on mapwarper using OSM data as the reference.
3) Start adding townlands in OSM using bing and gsgs sheets.
4) Have a few beers and pat your selves on the back.