[OSM-talk-ie] Logainm import?

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 20:18:32 UTC 2014

On 19/10/2014, Rory McCann <rory at technomancy.org> wrote:
> It was pointed out on channel that, as well as the commonly known naming
> dispute, there is also disagreements about the Irish name of Dingle. "An
> Daingean" vs "Daingean Ui Chuis".
>
> http://www.dinglename.com/
>
> This is a case where name:ga might be different from offical_name:ga.
>
> Whether to add an official_name:ga when name:ga is the same is debatable.
> I'd suggest adding both, since it makes the OSM data more complete.

Of course, there's always the one, that's why I said "most" :)

I guess my implicit expectation was that official_name is only
necessary if it differs from name (whatever the language). Otherwise,
osm would be lttered with official_name for everything.

One tag that might be worth adding in every case is
source:name=logainm. On top of crediting logainm, it'll serve as a
warning to would-be name-changing contributors that they probably need
to compose their work with this source.