[OSM-talk-ie] Place names and townland boundaries

Patrick Matthews mullinalaghta at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 13:29:11 UTC 2014

Brian,

My understanding is that a global import of names was done from the GNS
name server in 2007:

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2013-July/067544.html

The server data tends to be patchy with a large blank area to the north of
the Dublin-Galway line:

http://steve8.dev.openstreetmap.org/OSM_Placenames_Ireland.jpg

(The obvious exception is what I've done in Longford, where my inclination
has been to mark townlands as being "hamlets" - that being the nearest
equivalent in the OSM settlement hierarchy; townlands aren't villages, but
they are recognised settlement areas that locals identify with and the
current default OSM style sheet doesn't display townland names when they're
represented solely as relationships.)

The patchy data is there from the original GNS database:

http://forum.geonames.org/gforum/posts/list/268.page;jsessionid=E02A62B57B3D4958BC6258287197BDB6

I wouldn't assume that the GNS data is going to be more accurate than
either the GSGS maps or our own knowledge - it's more likely to be derived
from smaller-scale maps and the locations may be off. There were a couple
of GNS nodes north of Coole - "Rockland" and "Whitegate" - where I moved
the GNS nodes to the placenames' positions on the GSGS map and relabelled
them as "localities" last night

Regards,

Paddy.