[OSM-talk-ie] Traffic Islands, pedestrian areas and footways for routing purposes

Dave Corley davecorley at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 22:14:10 UTC 2015

I marked this along with other mails to reply to and somehow missed it so
apologies for the late reply

I took a quick look in taginfo [1] (we also have a version for Ireland
incase people didn't know [2]) and in the wiki and the most used option is
traffic_calming=island (14k)

There is also landuse=traffic_island (2k uses). While neither way is wrong
per se, the traffic_calming one fits within the traffic_calming schema so
is probably the better option

There's some sparse detail on the wiki about it here [3] and here [4]

In terms of access, if there is a barrier running down the middle, map the
barrier as such e.g. barrier=fence etc

With regards to routing, you can test that out on the OSM site. I used your
O Connell Street example [5].

Something such as the meridian in OC Street, I'm not sure that would be
considered a traffic island?

1 - http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/
2 - http://taginfo.openstreetmap.ie/
3 - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:traffic_calming - Bottom of page