[OSM-talk-ie] Townland Mapping in Ireland (an update)

Dave Corley davecorley at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 12:09:06 UTC 2015

So its been over 2 months since my last one of these mails so I wanted to
give you all a fresh update.

Since the last mail, on Nov 1, over 6,000 additional townlands have been
mapped. In other words, 10% of all townlands for the whole country were
done in the last 10 weeks. That is staggering!

In terms of counties, the following were complete up to my last mail

Carlow
Longford
Fermanagh

You can now add the following to those

Offaly, Sligo & Westmeath

Based on info from townlands.ie, the following counties are currently
underway and are due to be finished in 18 months (or less)

Antrim (2 weeks)
Clare (6 months)
Dublin (17 months)
Galway (12 months)
Kildare (15 months)
Laois (15 months)
Leitrim (6 months)
Meath (2 months)
Wexford (3 months)
Wicklow (3 months)

That will bring us to a total of 16 fully mapped counties out of 32 or 50%
which is fantastic but it still leaves a big gap in terms of completing the
remaining list of counties:

Armagh
Cavan
Cork
Derry
Donegal
Down
Kerry
Kilkenny
Limerick
Louth
Mayo
Monaghan
Roscommon
Tipperary
Tyrone
Waterford

If you are reading this and you have not yet mapped any townlands, don't be
shy. there is a bit of a learning curve to it, but once you get going you
will fly along at it.

As has been mentioned many times, there is a full wiki page with walk
through videos, guides, FAQ etc all available here -
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Ireland/Mapping_Townlands

Thanks,
Dave