[OSM-talk-ie] Where's the coastline?

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 00:07:43 UTC 2015

On 05/06/2015, Rory McCann <rory at technomancy.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just wanna check something, to make sure I'm mapping coastlines
> properly.
>
> I'm working around the Clare coast, mapping townlands, and I'm unsure
> where the coastline is when there is a lot of tides or estuary.
>
> In this area: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/52.7762/-8.9752
> There's lots of "mud flats"(?) that I'm not marking as coastline, but
> the GSGS maps show that they are "land". You can see that I've chopped
>  Islanddavanna Upper in half.
>
> Am I mapping coastlines correctly here?

It's always going to be a subjective call. In this particular case, I
think that these mud flats are "making a fine case for land status",
quoting Mackerski in http://pastebin.com/rbniH18e. If you look
closely, you can see man-made paths  There's a clear one at the south
end of the west mud flat, and there are a few "bridges" connecting
your coastline to the mud flats. On the other hand, most of the
surface does get covered by high tides, so according to that IRC
discussion and the wiki, it should be on the sea side of the
coastline.

So I mostly agree with your tweaks on the west side, but I'd map the
path at the south end with a sliver of land around it. And in any
case, map the "natural=wetland .wetlang=saltmarsh/tidal_flat" area.