[OSM-talk-ie] Where's the coastline?

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 15:13:33 UTC 2015

On 06/06/2015, Killian Driscoll <killiandriscoll at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, maybe I'm getting the wrong end of the stick, but why try and reinvent
> the wheel when you can just compare how the land or water is already
> interpreted

It's more important to be self-consistent than to follow another
project's lead, even a well-respected one. Or to phrase it
differently, sticking with your decision is more important than what
your actual decision is.

That said, I think that the "coastline is at mean high-water spring
tide" principle is the most common (sometimes using "high-water mark"
instead, which is close enough).

> look at the EPA map http://gis.epa.ie/Envision /
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Corine_Land_Cover and see what is land,
> transitional waterbody, coastline.

AFAIU Corine doesn't have a notion of "coastline" the way OS does. It
just deals with landcover, and categorizes those as salt marsh, which
is an easy decision in OSM too. The OSi map on that website shows the
north part of the wetland as land and the south part as water, which
is really bogus and a nice example of the official government-funded
maps not always being the best :p