[OSM-talk-ie] Townland mapping, time for another update I think

Patrick Matthews mullinalaghta at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 19:16:48 UTC 2015

Michael,

I hope you don't mind my taking liberties but I've moved some of your
rectification points in Mapwarper and the map looks reasonably OK now
(there are a couple of green points but most are blue).

My general advice when starting warping would be:

1. Look at the road network at the corners of the map and see if you can
find the corresponding roads using the Bing imagery, Streams and river
confluences are not necessarily a good idea because they can physically
change over time (and streams aren't always accurately drawn in the first
place). If one of the corners doesn't have any road network (which is the
case for the north-west corner of 14-15-SW) then try to get as near the
corner as you can.
2. Use the Bing imagery to ensure that the road network is correctly traced
in OSM and change it if necessary..
3. Then place rectified co-ordinates at those four corners. This will at
least give you a rough but reasonably accurate initial warp which you can
then refine later.

Regards,

Paddy Matthews.