[OSM-talk-ie] Query on tracing townlands and dealing with changed lake levels and new boundaries

Killian Driscoll killiandriscoll at gmail.com
Thu May 14 21:10:28 UTC 2015

I've been working on tracing townlands by Lough Conn, Mayo and don't know
how to deal with some boundaries due to the drop in lake levels from
drainage works. Here http://osm.org/go/etJ86lqw-?m= you can see that I've
left out four townlands: Scotchfort, Cappanaglogh, Cloonygunnaun, and
'Cappanaglogh (Part Of): you can see that the latter is between
Cappanaglogh, Cloonygunnaun, and with the lake level change and the
inclusion of a previous island into the townland it's not clear how a new
boundary should be drawn.

A related issue is whether the boundaries should be redrawn at all here, or
if the original pre-drainage works lake level boundary should be respected
(I looked at Lough Gara and see that the tracing has followed the new lake
level). The GIS townland layer I have used before has kept the original
townland size and not changed the outline to match the 'new' lake level.

I'd appreciate advice on this,

Killian Driscoll
Banting Postdoctoral Fellow
Département d'anthropologie