[OSM-talk-ie] Ireland EEZ boundary

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 16:02:04 UTC 2015

On 18/09/2015, Colm Moore <colmmoore72 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> You will probably find that there is a statutory instrument that defines
> much of the EEZ boundaries.

Yes, the corresponding document and points can be found at
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2014/si/86 and its title is tagged
on the osm objects. I have no intention of touching these coordinates.
But they only describe the boundary at sea. Nothing is said about the
coastline/inland boundary, which is the one I'm addressing in my
email.

> I think islands should be included within the EEZ - its all the one
> territorial claim - as islands change in size.

That would fit with suggestion b) or c).

> What is the OSM standard for this?

http://overpass-turbo.eu/?w=%22border_type%22%3D%22eez%22+global&R is
interesting. All kinds of layouts exist:
* border-only (no area) boundaries (eg between Japan and Korea)
* area encompassing the land (eg Philipines)
* area following the offshore country border rather than the exact
coastline (eg South Africa)
* area crossing the land very roughly (eg Italy)
* the Irish EEZ seems unique in OSM in following the coastline precisely

Following these observations, and the fact that the irish statute
document's points actually start at sea very near the territorial
water boundary, I suggest a new option : make the EEZ follow its
current offshore boundary, and the territorial boundary (which starts
at http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/144387894 and ends at
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/92987647). This follows the South
Africa model, and actually results in a very lightweight and
standard-conforming osm object.

Thanks for pushing me to do these extra checks Colm, this new solution
looks much more satisfying to me. Unless there's a contrary opinion
I'm going to enact it this sunday (schedule permiting), but a couple
of "+1" replies wouldn't hurt either.

Cheers.