[OSM-talk-ie] Talk-ie Digest, Vol 83, Issue 10

Donal Diamond donal.diamond at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 18:06:50 UTC 2016

Hi Brian,

As talk-ie is quite low volume - can you consider not subscribing to the
daily digest as it breaks the flow of thread topics?

On 18 April 2016 at 15:51, Brian Hollinshead <brian at hollinshead.net> wrote:

> 4)
> Whether we should have an OOC layer for 6inch OS on
> maps.openstreetmpa.ie/oocmaps?

What's the layer number on mapwarper?

> 5)
> Whether it is desirable and if it can be done, to improve the my user
> experience with maps.openstreetmap.ie on say a 7" tablet by having an
> enlarged pop-up mini window with the two or three overlay choices when I
> hit two or more of them by mistake. Can ably demonstrate my difficulty with
> this on Saturday.

I believe Leaflet and more recent versions of OpenLayers has better mobile
support.

Down side of Leaflet is that it is harder to provide permalinks.

> 6)As the Poor Law Union areas coincided with the Superindentent Registrar's
> Districts (so important to genealogists) for many decades we might consider
> adding them as an overlay option to maps.openstreetmap.ie

Added

http://maps.openstreetmap.ie/?zoom=10&lat=53.39081&lon=-6.19363&layers=B00FFFFFFFFFFFTF

I just picked orange at random you can suggest a different javascript color
name if you prefer:

http://www.jdstiles.com/colorchart.html

> Donal, please forgive me, maybe one of the others might offer help with
> some of the above if being acted on. Your spendid layers on
> maps.openstreetmap.ie along with Rory's townlands.ie have brought gasps of
> amazement and admiration from many local studies librarians when I have
> shown them.

Not at all - I have very little time at the moment to work on extra
curricular activities.

The cartography of all our layers isn't great - they are mostly there just
as debug layers for our mappers to spot issues.

There is a number of other users who have access to the osmie server (dev3)
who might consider maintaining the following services:

nominatim.openstreetmap.ie  (OK)
taginfo.openstreetmap.ie     (OK)
planet.openstreetmap.ie      (OK)
osm-ie irc bot     - needs to be migrated from dev2 to dev3
overpass.openstreetmap.ie   - down as we didn't have enough diskspace
osmie tile server with 15 minutes updates (0K)

The Telecommunication Software and Systems Group (TSSG)  in WIT have given
us another 50GB or storage space so we should have enough resources to
revive overpass.

Donal