[OSM-talk-ie] Can Townlands be split for Civil parishes and barony boundries?

Patrick Matthews mullinalaghta at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 01:16:13 UTC 2016

To summarize, prior to 1898, townlands could be neatly nested into civil
parishes, poor law
electoral divisions, and baronies, and these three hierarchies were
independent of each
other - but all three in turn nested neatly into counties. Poor law
divisions nested into poor
law unions which could cross county boundaries.

The 1898 Local Government Act meant that:

a) baronies and civil parishes were no longer used as administrative
divisions - though
they were still legally defined entities,
b) poor law unions were divided into urban and rural districts, although
the electoral
division boundaries remained unchanged except where an electoral division
containing
a town was split into a rural and one or more urban electoral divisions.
(Poor law unions
crossing county boundaries were split into rural districts along the county
boundary
line.)
c) some county boundaries were changed, mainly to bring all of a town into
a single
county, but in some cases to move larger chunks of territory (e.g.
Ballaghaderreen)
fromone county to another. These areas, however, remained in the same
baronies
and civil parishes that they previously had been in.

For post-1898 maps:

a) barony boundaries are still shown and townlands are "nested" within them
- so
Curry (Macmanus) should be split,
b) civil parish boundaries are only shown within urban districts,
c) electoral division boundaries are not explicitly shown at all (except
where they
coincide with an urban district boundary) - one consequence of this is that
townlands
which are "split" between two parishes but where both parts are within the
same
electoral division are shown on the map as a single townland,
d) townland boundaries are not shown at all within county boroughs.

My approach in Longford and Cavan has been to treat townlands "crossing"
civil
parish or barony boundaries as separate entities but to distinguish them as
"Townlandname (X civil parish)" and "Townlandname (Y civil parish)".

Regards,

Paddy.