[OSM-talk-ie] Can Townlands be split for Civil parishes and barony boundries?

Cormac O Murchú com at iol.com
Mon Dec 12 16:09:36 UTC 2016

(Apologies for formatting in first message so resent)

We are asking the wrong question of Lugaphuill in a way.

There were two townlands named Lugaphuill in 2 separate civil parishes as
late as 1911.

map  Townland name Area  acres  roods  perches County Barony Parish County
district / Superintendent Registrar’s District District Electoral Division
(DED) DED number
[89] Lugaphuill	215 2 4	Mayo Carra Drum Castlebar Breaghwy 6
[89][Lugaphuill	249 2 25 Mayo Carra Ballyhean Castlebar Breaghwy 63

As both were then and are now in Breaghwy ED the REAL question is WERE they
LATER combined intone  townland by a Boundary Order and the answer seemingly
is perhaps yes.. They were separate townlands in 1901 or so.  The problem is
that nobody seems to know where the boundary orders are I asked in the
Valuation office ( the chief valuer is the chief boundary surveyor who makes
boundary orders in Ireland) and a whole load of boundary orders were made c.
1898 to 1914 or so.

1911 census

We can see that separate enumeration forms exist in for FOR Drum

1. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002982064/ ( Drum)
(dwellngs 21)

And separately Ballyhean

2. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002981321/ (Ballyhean)
(dwellings 7)

So not combined there either or there would be only one form ( 1 per
townland)

In the Townlands  supplement to the 1911 census

This >

http://www.histpop.org/ohpr/servlet/PageBrowser?path=Browse/Census%20(by%20g
eography)/Ireland/1911&active=yes&mno=460&tocstate=expandnew&tocseq=200&disp
lay=sections&display=tables&display=pagetitles&pageseq=first-nonblank

There is no mention of Lugaphuill which indicates that a boundary order was
perhaps made after 1913 IF at all.

http://www.histpop.org/ohpr/servlet/PageBrowser?path=Browse/Census%20(by%20g
eography)/Ireland/1911&active=yes&mno=460&tocstate=expandnew&display=section
s&display=tables&display=pagetitles&pageseq=11

We do see a lot of modifications where xx Urban ED s are located.

1901
map sheet number Townland name Are  acres Area roods Area perches County
Barony Parish County district / Superintendent Registrar’s District District
Electoral Division (DED) DED number
[88] Clerhaun 116 2 12 Mayo Murrisk Oughaval Westport Westport Rural 154

Suddenly we see Clerhaun “Part of” Here.

http://www.histpop.org/ohpr/servlet/PageBrowser?path=Browse/Census%20(by%20g
eography)/Ireland/1911&active=yes&mno=460&tocstate=expandnew&display=section
s&display=tables&display=pagetitles&pageseq=6

115 acres 3 and 7 The missing 1 acre was evidently nibbled by Westport Urban
ED as a result of a stream being straightened. Between 1839 and 1901 or so
and made into the ED Boundary with the townland adjustment made afterwards
post 1901.

https://www.townlands.ie/mayo/murrisk/kilmeena/westport-rural/clerhaun/

So there should also be a 1 acre Clerhaun townland in Westport Urban ED But
I dunno when/if the 2 x Lugaphuill townlands were combined save that there
had to be an order making it so and the Valuers office have no public record
of these.

HTH