[OSM-talk-ie] OSM / townlands.ie metadata

Killian Driscoll killiandriscoll at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 16:36:03 UTC 2016

Rory,
I am using the data as part of a prehistoric stone tool raw material
reference collection collected as part of a raw material provenancing
(sourcing) project
http://www.lithicsireland.ie/archaeology_projects_irish_lithic_landscapes_chert_provenancing.html
I am setting up an online database to go along with the physical reference
collection of geological samples and the archaeological samples. I had been
using, on my desktop, the OS townlands and counties, but I'm very grateful
to be able to now use Open Data for it! So, thanks all for the mapping (I
did a tiny bit of of the townlands but ran out of time....).

The details about what the columns mean should be on the page itself, under
"Attributes".
- Thanks, I downloaded from here http://www.townlands.ie/page/download/ but
never scrolled down the page....!

I'm always open to hearing suggesting for improvements to t.ie or the data
download format.
- I downloaded the townlands data and imported into my PostgreSQL database,
and I am using a PHP generator to construct the online database. When doing
this, I originally decided to use as a pk the osm_id; the import to
PostgreSQL (using DB Manager in QGIS) has the osm_id as a double precision
with negative numbers (I see that on the metadata page it says it is
integer). While PostgreSQL was happy with this and there were no problems
with the osm_id, when using the PHP generator, it didn't like the double
precision, so I switched it to integer with negatives as is - this kind of
worked in that I could query it and it would give me the correct result
(the right townland) but it was displayed as '0.0000' instead of the text
(when using a display name instead of the id). It appears that the PHP
generator does not like negative numbers in the pk / fk: I added my own
integer (serial) pk, and it works fine. So, roundabout way of saying the
format is fine, except that for some reason the importing of the osm_id was
not read as integer - this hasn't happened before, so not sure if it is the
townland shapefile or not; and for some reason PHP doesn't like negatives
(I don't know much about PHP, hence I'm using a generator). If anyone could
explain that behaviour, I'd be happy to know about it.

Killian DriscoIl
IRC Postdoctoral Fellow
UCD School of Archaeology
University College Dublin