[OSM-talk-ie] Is mise Seán

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Tue Nov 15 16:11:19 UTC 2016

Hello Seán!

Welcome to OSM!

There are many ways to get involved. It all depends on your interest.
Just keep poking around with what interests you. Message the mailing
list, or the IRC channel ( #osm-ie on OFTC ), Facebook group, Twitter
account, etc. 🙂 We're all happy to help. We all started out somewhere.

On 13/11/16 22:59, Seán Lynch wrote:
> - What is the general standard of quality of addresses in Irish
> cities? Are many areas of city centers blanked out or lacking in
> quality? What areas need and are currently receiving attention?

I'm not sure. There is a 'address' tool on the OSM Inspector (
http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/?view=addresses ) which can show you
some debugging things for addresses.

One of the easiest ways to find missing areas, is to look at the OSM
map. House number/names are displayed from zoom 17 onwards, so just
scroll around and look for no numbers/names? If you have a lot of
addresses, you could try geocoding them and seeing where there are no
results.

> - Secondly, has the community agreed upon a standardized address
> format for Ireland? Is 'county' = 'Cork' or 'Co. Cork' ? ... etc.
> There seems to be a lot of common errors which annoying to have to
> debug and correct. Is there something being done about this?

Addressing in OSM is kinda in two parts. (a) How to store the address
data in OSM, and (b) how software (geocoders) should display it. For
(a) we just add the housenumber/name to the point/building, and then
the street name. Counties and the like are stored as administrative
boundaries and usually are in as "County Cork".

For (b), it's much harder. Writing software which can display
addresses in a sensible way for the whole world is hard. In theory
it's up to the geocoder to decide what and how to display the address,
which is where "Cork" vs "Co. Cork" vs "County Cork" would come into play.

What sort of errors are you seeing? I haven't done much geocoding with
OSM.

> - Thirdly, is anyone providing data at the sub-national level for
> Ireland?

Not that I'm aware of. There is the Mapzen Metro Extracts service (
https://mapzen.com/data/metro-extracts/ ) which provides OSM data for
Dublin and Belfast regions. I think you can make your own extracts.

However the data for Ireland is not so large. In my experience you can
import it into PostgreSQL in about 10 minutes on a desktop machine,
and then cut out the area you want and produce a shapefile of just
that area.

Likewise osmosis can be used to process a PBF file and cut out just a
small area if you want.

Though someone did jokily suggest to me to provide OSM PBF extracts at
a townland level. 😛

> I only discovered http://planet.openstreetmap.ie/ and this is a
> great resource- thanks to whoever got this together. May I suggest
> providing some trial shp data and an example of where data is
> lacking or could be improved?

I provide some shapefiles on townlands.ie for some administrative
boundaries: https://www.townlands.ie/page/download/ I don't think
that's quite what you're looking for.

> - Finally, I have a more technical question- I am trying to devise
> a strategy to capture the results from reverse geocoded requests
> and correctly store them in their respective db columns. The count
> of the address array and the keys (php) are dynamic. Is there a
> set of keys for addresses that someone can recommend? Eg. there is
> commonly 1 value either for "suburb" or sometimes the key is
> "locality" and other times it is "city_district" and there are
> probably more keys I need too. Can someone recommend a strategy?
> Alternatively I am considering counting the array and hard coding
> the values in by index.. thoughts??

I'm not really sure. It depends on your geocoder. Some will always
return a specific set of keys for each (succesful) geocode. It can
also depend on what you want to do with the data etc.

Hope that helps. 🙂