[OSM-talk-ie] Cycling infrastructure in Ireland

Donal Hunt donal.hunt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 21:01:50 UTC 2017

I'm very much aware of the sad state of affairs. Took me six months to get
signage on one sign changed earlier this year (and I strongly suspect it
only happened because I pestered the council enough). :/

The best action you can take is to get involved with the local campaigns
(Dublin Cycling Campaign is very active) and submit observations to public
consultations / planning requests either directly or through the campaigns.
Patience is slowly wearing out with many of the campaign groups due to the
tiny amounts of money being invested to get results like you mention.
Direct action groups like "I bike Dublin" are having an impact with getting
the message across in a meaningful way. I've also been trying to educate
cycling policy makers and planners to take advantage of data sets such as
Strava's metro heatmaps which show where cyclists are frequenting (and
avoiding). It's very slow. :(

I'm hoping openstreetmap will be useful in gathering data that can
highlight the sorry state of things (e.g. our longest continuous
non-yielding cycle track is 1km; we have XXX km of shared bus/cycle lanes
and XX km of dedicated cycle tracks). I'm a very strong believer that
people armed with data are a force to be reckoned with.

d.