[OSM-talk-ie] Typos in Townland names

Brian Tuffy brian.tuffy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 16:22:29 UTC 2017

Hi Colm,
Thanks for your addition, every little helps!
I agree with you that we must not assume that the mistake is always in the
OSM entry. Often the entry in OSM is of greater value, even if it does not
match any official names, for example, I have added the local name of a
townland "Guesdian"  I know this is the name everyone uses and it is the
name on the townland marker-stone in the area. However the official name is
"Geesadan" and there are alternative names such as "Gweeshadan" all for the
same place. So we have to be very careful correcting names!
I recommend to use local_name= and alt_name= tags where possible. We can
check the version history of a townland relation (version #) and if the
name does not change since it was first added, then I can assume that a
local name was not added. The typos occurred when copying the name from the
maps because they are hard to read. I think 4.3% error in names is actually
impressively low.

The obvious way to identify a typo is to check if any of the names in the
relation exactly match the original townlands map source. Those names
should be present in some form, possible alt_name or something.
http://maps.openstreetmap.ie/      and click mapwrapper GSGS3906

Cheers,
Brian T