[OSM-talk-ie] Irish boundary tagging, suggestions sought

Brian Hollinshead brian at hollinshead.net
Sat Feb 25 10:52:53 UTC 2017

I have added various historic boundaries in Dublin region administrative,
political and other over the past year or so. I will seek advise later as
to whether these should be only in OSM or only in HISTOSM or in both.

Meanwhile I welcome corrections and suggestions to the tagging system that
I have struggled with, please see examples below.

First of all, as a benchmark some the preset tagging offered in the JOSM
presets, (thank you Donal?)

*City - LAU-1*
admin_level=7
boundry=administrative
name=...
type=boundary

*Townland*
administrative_level=10
boundary=administrative
locality=townland
name=...
place=locality
type=boundary

*Dail Constituency*
boundary=political
nmae=...
political_division=parl_const
type=boundary

*Civil Parish*
boundary=civil_parish
name=...
type=boundary

Brian's tagging as it evolved, needs correcting please

*Dublin City 1849*   (6099274)
boundary=historic   ???????
historic=yes
name=.....
type=boundary

*Dublin Parliamentary 1947*   (6544843)
boundary=political
historic=yes
name=...
political_division=historic_parl_const
type=boundary

*Please should I add source and date?*

*North City Ward 1849*   (5534597)
boundary=administrative
date=1849
historic=yes
name=...
political_division=city_ward
type=boundary

add source=...

*Poor Law Union *  (5844592)
alt_name=Dublin South Superindent Registrars District
alt_name_1=Dublin South Union
boundary=poor_law_union
name=Dublin South Poor Law Union
source=GRO pamphlet 1885 HMSO (in NLI)
type=boundary

*I should add date as some altered afterwards*

*Parliamentary: * (6201389)
boundary=political
end_date=1922
historic=yes
name= Dublin Harbour Parliamentary Constituency 1885-1922
political_division=historic_parl_const
start_date=1885
type+boundary

*Police District*  (6650495)
boundary=police_district
historic=yes
name=Dublin Metropolitan Police District 1838
source=1838 1 Vic ....
start_date=1838
type=boundary

*I  could add an end date when it was altered in area or name*

*Suburban District of Dublin 1861 *  (6340790)
boundary=administrative
historic=yes
locality=suburban_district
place=locality
source= appendix to 1861 census
type=boundary

*This area was to show new built up areas not otherwise shown.*