[OSM-talk-ie] Splitting of CIvil Parishes?

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Sun Feb 26 17:00:59 UTC 2017

I have mapped CPs which cross through the middle of a townland. OSM is
flexible and allows you to do that. There's nothing wrong with doing that.

Yes the PlaceNamesNI site seems to match how you've mapped it in OSM,
however maybe they are using some data model which isn't flexible and
doesn't support more complicated things, and they have a simple hack
like that. Or maybe they're wrong.

Within OSM, the "one real world thing = one OSM object" means that
you've added 3 separate CPs, one called Drummaul, one Ahoghill and a
third called "Ahoghill/Drummaul". I don't think that's correct, I think
there are only 2 CPs here.

OSM would allow you to have overlapping CPs, but I don't think that's
correct either.

I'd suggest mapping the CP as going through the middle of the townland.
Or moving the townland entirely into one or the other CP. The Memorial
Atlas map[1] implies the Drummaul border is more north than where it is
now in OSM.

[1]
http://maps.openstreetmap.ie/oocmaps.html?zoom=13&lat=54.81657&lon=-6.34503&layers=0000BFFFTFF