[OSM-talk-ie] Large number of connemara boundaries broken, user Dafo43 and Potlatch 2.0

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 20:55:04 UTC 2017

On 26/02/2017, Cormac O Murchú <com at iol.com> wrote:
> I’m getting sick of cleaning these messes up.

It's not very useful to vent on the mailing list like this. The first
thing to do with a problematic changeset is to open its osm.org page
and to comment there. It's also possible to send a private message to
the contributor, but changeset discussions give more context and
allows other contributors to join the conversation (or at least
witness it). And once you've got the medium right, please always steer
the tone away from anger and towards constructive.

Dafo43 is a long-time Irish contributor doing useful work, but I've
noticed the recent breakage too and commented at
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/46337978 and
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/46369577.

My guess is that Potlatch makes these kind of errors too easy to make
and/or too hard to spot, but I can understand that changing editors
after all that time is not a fun prospect. Does anybody know a
Potlatch workflow that can prevent/notify about such errors ? Beyond
that, it's back to QA tools (which Dafo43 is aware of) and general
data maintenance.

We all upload broken stuff that other people get to clean up every now and then.

--
Vincent de Phily