[OSM-talk-ie] Ringforts

Brian Tuffy brian.tuffy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 18:06:47 UTC 2017

Hi Keith,
There were some already mapped in my area and so I started mapping some
myself here,
http://histosm.org/#11/-9.1571/53.827/0/

HistOSM gives a clearer picture of these kinds of things, the more
historical things get, the less relevant they are for OSM though.
I wonder is it possible to add to HistOSM but not to OSM???

I have used the following tagging, which I adapted from somewhere else in
Ireland. I also try to add the names if possible.
historic = archaeological_site
site_type= fortification
fortification_type = ringfort

But I have seen other tagging schemes such as:

   - historic=archaeological_site
   - type=ringfort

   - archaeological_site=fort
   - historic=archaeological_site
   - name=Abbey Grey Fort
   - source=GSGS 3906

   - archaeological_site=cashel
   - historic=archaeological_site
   - man_made=embankment

Some might argue that ringforts are not important to map, and I suppose
they are insignificant if there is no trace of them visible (possibly good
to map them for Histosm.org though!).  In rural areas, ringforts can be
important landmarks and also townland names are sometimes named after
ringforts and it's rewarding to see a ringfort in a certain townland in
that case.
Note that the rings/ways don't appear in the OSM standard view, just a
archaeological symbol.

I stopped mapping ringforts for a few reasons. (1) There is just way to
many of them around (2) not sure of the tagging scheme to use myself (3)
Somehow hoping that the National Monuments Service will provide their open
data at some point in the future (4) Not sure how useful this data is for
OSM.
http://webgis.archaeology.ie/historicenvironment/

As far as I can see there is no "standard" for mapping ringforts in Ireland
and no way to distinguish Carn/ringforts etc.
Hopefully we can decide on some standard way of tagging ringforts in this
discussion and I would be happy to add them again too.

Brian T