[OSM-talk-ie] Waterford Greenway

Tue Mar 28 09:44:41 UTC 2017

Hello talk-ie,

I see you have a lovely new cycle route, the Waterford Greenway:

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/ireland/green-light-irelands-longest-greenway-opens-in-waterford-35562434.html

The mapping is a bit, shall we say... confused?

Quite a lot of the route in OSM seems to be ways which were formerly a
preserved railway and have now had the tag 'highway=cycleway' added -
but most of the old railway tags have been left, so we have the
entertaining situation of an electrified cycleway with a loading gauge.
I suspect there might be one or two sections where the cycleway actually
isn't really there.

And then there's the route relations - oh boy. Random relations have
been created, ways added to a 'superroute' relation, route relation tags
added to ways, etc. etc. etc. It's all a bit of a horlicks albeit
evidently one created with good intentions.

I've fixed a few obvious connectivity howlers, but it really needs a
thorough tidy-up, and it would be better coming from someone local (or,
at least, in the same country). In theory all the ways should be part of
two relations (NCN relation 6686612, ICN relation 6641108) and should,
obviously, connect with nearby roads where appropriate.

cheers
Richard