[OSM-talk-ie] Untagged ways

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Thu Aug 23 07:10:21 UTC 2018

Yes! This overpass query finds them:

     [bbox:{{bbox}}][out:xml][timeout:250];
     (
       way(if:count_tags() == 0); - (relation; >;);
     );
     out meta; >; out meta qt;

I have that saved in JOSM's "Download from Overpass API" feature. After
downloading, Ctrl-F to search for "type:way", then add them to to the
todo list plugin window, and work through them one by one. Unfortunately
due to how JOSM downloads them, you can't use "continuous download" to
make it easier.

It's nice if you want something to do, and improves OSM data. Like a
garden that needs weeding, OSM needs people to look over it and tidy it up.

The query works by first searching for all ways which have 0 tags in the
area (`if:count_tags() == 0`). Then it gets all the relations in the
area (`relation;`), and then the ways of those relations (byt 'recusing
down the relations with `>`). It removes the second set of ways from the
first set, leaving all ways with no tags that aren't in any realtions.

Hope that helps