[OSM-talk-ie] Mapping hospital departments

Colm Moore colmmoore72 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 10 16:24:17 UTC 2018

Hi,

Over time, I've mapped parts of various hospitals. A map is only useful if it serves its end users. Hospitals are big places, so mapping as many of the individual buildings and departments is useful.

1. One of the things that I've found is that hospitals are very poor at mapping (and signing) themselves (I've mentioned it to some of them & HSE). These maps: https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/5/cancer/archive/mwcc/campus-map.pdf and this https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/5/cancer/archive/mwcc/hospital-map.pdf of University Hospital Limerick are quite poor and don't really look like this: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/45766917#map=16/52.6343/-8.6527

2. To some degree or other, the layout of some hospitals facilitate mapping individual departments, as each department is a separate building:
* Altnagelvin Hospital, Derry https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/123387829#map=16/54.9864/-7.2916
* Our Lady's Children's Hospital Crumlin https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/32063615#map=17/53.32615/-6.31889
* St. Vincent's, Dublin https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/8106524#map=17/53.31685/-6.21267
* St. James's, Dublin https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/32015912#map=18/53.34085/-6.29308

3. However, most of Beaumont Hospital, Dublin is just one building

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/642893440#map=18/53.39078/-6.22300

I've done some experimentation:

* building=hospital does work, but means a building on top of a building and is poor mapping: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/642893439

*  building=hospital as a node doesn't work: https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/6034491515
*  building=roof works, but is only applicable to certain cases: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/316698399

Any thoughts on the best way of mapping hospital departments?

Colm