[OSM-talk-ie] OSM IRL meeting in Dublin

Brian Hollinshead brian at hollinshead.net
Sat Nov 24 16:15:49 UTC 2018

Just back from the meeting, some interesting and useful discussion as usual.
Ciaran did a presentation on the simplicity of Mapmillary. This was
followed later on by a quick walk around the locality by four teams on
foot. Then uploading the resulting images on our return. Ciaran talked
about adding natural and man-made details to the map as well as roads using
the Mapillary plugin on JOSM to indicate the valuable source these images
are for adding

There was a demonstration of using overass_turbo.eu to extract various data
sets, save it and then import it into a multilayered u.map. Like using
leaflet but with no knowledge of code or grammar needed, it suits me very
well. Our thanks to OSM France who host the site.
Two example shown include u.osmfr.org/m/161139 which shows 6 of the
boundaries named Rathvilly which enclose Rathvilly Village and
u.osmfr.org/m/180392 with numerous layers showing Superintendent Registrars
Districts and Registrars District on the east coast. These are particularly
useful to historians and those interested in genealogy. The relations can
be easily built as all the pieces of townland boundary are already there.

Arising from talk about out of copyright maps we viewed
dublinhistoricmaps.ie which has various georeferenced images from 1700s,
1800s and 1900s. Where the features coincide with modern OSM maps is best
seen by using the slider at the bottom right.

Looking forward to the next meeting to get some answers about the
desirability or otherwise of adding dates to the names of historical
boundaries. There just wasn't time today.

Hope to see some of you there.