[OSM-talk-ie] Raths / ringforts

Donal Hunt donal.hunt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 17:02:07 UTC 2018

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringfort

In Irish language <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_language> sources
they are known by a number of names: *ráth* (anglicised *rath*), *lios*
 (anglicised *lis*; cognate with Cornish
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_language> *lis*),[2]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringfort#cite_note-Helsbury-2> *caiseal*
 (anglicised *cashel*), *cathair* (anglicised *caher* or *cahir*; cognate
with Welsh <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_language> *caer*, Cornish
and Breton <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breton_language> *ker*) and *dún*
 (anglicised *dun* or *doon*; cognate with Welsh and Cornish *din*).[3]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringfort#cite_note-Edwards-3> The *ráth* and
*lios* was an earthen ringfort; the *ráth* being the enclosing bank and the
*lios* being the open space within.[4]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringfort#cite_note-Irish_countryside-4> The
*caiseal* and *cathair* was a stone ringfort.[3]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringfort#cite_note-Edwards-3> The term *dún* was
usually used for any stronghold of importance, which may or may not be
ring-shaped.[3] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringfort#cite_note-Edwards-3>

In Ireland, over 40,000 sites have been identified as ringforts and it is
thought that at least 50,000 ringforts existed on the island.[5]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringfort#cite_note-New_History,_550-5> They
are common throughout the country, with a mean density of just over one
ringfort within any area of 2 km2 (0.8 sq mi). It is likely that many have
been destroyed by farming and urbanisation. However, many hitherto unknown
ringforts have been found thanks to early Ordnance Survey
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordnance_Survey> maps, aerial photography
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_photography>, and the archaeological
work that has accompanied road-building.

Based on the above definitions, nodes should tagged with ring_fort but
detailed mapping could use ráth and lios. I assume a relation tagged with
ringfort would be appropriate for locations that have the ráth and lios
mapped.

Thoughts?

Donal

p.s. I have no other knowledge / opinion other that want I've read above. I
do think they are cool and worth mapping. 50,000 is a lot of work!!!