[OSM-talk-ie] Raths / ringforts

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Thu Sep 6 11:33:28 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I mapped a lot with historical=earthworks earthworks=rath. A few years
brianh came up with a tagging scheme for historic objects like that in
Ireland, and that was the tagging for ringforts, so I used that. I have
no strong attachment to it, and would be willing to change to something
else.

I've mapped them from the GSGS map combined with current aerial, and as
a closed way. We can do more accurate than a node! 🙂

The Archeological Survey of Ireland has all these (and more!) mapped,
and I believe there's some attempt to ask the Dept Culture, Heritage &
Gaeltacht to open that out, but nothing yet. That would certainly aid
mapping.

https://www.archaeology.ie/archaeological-survey-ireland

rory