[OSM-talk-ie] Summits imported from mountainviews.ie

Donal Diamond donal.diamond at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 14:49:15 UTC 2019

Just re-subscribed.

The MV import was done in Jan 2009 (eek!) after myself and Dermot met with
Simon.

Before import there was a total of 40 Irish summits in OSM. Back then, the
whole Irish map was a whole lot of nothing - we didn't even have county
boundaries - just shows how much progress we made the last 10 years!

At the time wiki guidance was ele was in wgs84,

' For OpenStreetMap, please use the elevation above sea level defined by
the World Geodetic System
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Geodetic_System>, revision WGS 84.'

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:ele&oldid=209140

To answer some questions:
tm75 is basically Irish Grid https://epsg.io/29903
The tm75 elevations should be really close to egm96

iemv tags worth keeping? I'd probably just keep  iemv:mtnindex to help with
future updates from MV data.  There may still be an export page at
https://mountainviews.ie/mv/place_dump.php

The MV data has improved massively since 2009 as they have access to highly
accurate DGPS survey equipment - so worth a hackaton to refresh

Donal