[OSM-talk-ie] Integrating OSM Data and MediaWiki

Colm Moore colmmoore72 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 3 17:15:53 UTC 2019

Hi,

There is a population=* tag that is used for urban places. It might be suitable for use, but would need to be checked.

However, note that census information is generally not published by townland. Usually, the smallest is electoral division (presumably wards in NI) or enumeration areas - the area covered by an individual census enumerator. EAs are typically 200-300 properties and the data may be referred to as small area population statistics (SAPS). Note that some EDs have (near) zero population and need to be combined to form EAs - otherwise information on individual people would be discernible. According to townlands.ie, very few EDs seem to have been mapped. EAs polygons are probably available from the CSO and NISRA.

There is AIRO, which operates on an all-Ireland basis, which has quite a few data  themes. http://airo.maynoothuniversity.ie/mapping-resources/overview AIRO uses a mix of OSM, OSi and ONSI mapping. I think we should avoid duplication, but there could be things we could cooperate on or we work on what suits us and they work on what suits them.

I think using a site separate to OSM, similar to townlands.ie or openstreetmap.ie (or one of those), would be the way to analyse and present the data.

Colm

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead