[OSM-talk-ie] Integrating OSM Data and MediaWiki

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Mon Mar 4 18:01:49 UTC 2019

On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 at 21:46, Killyfole and District Development
Association <webmaster at killyfole.org.uk> wrote:

> I have been approached many times about adding additional data to OSM for
> research purposes and to display it on townlands.ie  For example, census
> population data, research into the townland names etc.

> Would anyone in the community know of a way of maybe integrating
> mediawiki with OSM or townlands.ie data?

I would look at putting what data you can (like population) into
Wikidata; and adding to Wikidata the ID for each Townland, as
mentioned by Cormac.

Then add the Wikidata ID of each townland to the respective object in
OSM, if not already present.

I'd be happy to help you get to grips with doing that; not least by
proposing the creation an ID property.

For any data that does not fit in Wikidata, you can host a local
implementation of its software, WikiBase, and refer to the respective
Wikidata IDs in that, to cross-link the two databases.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing