[OSM-talk-ie] Proposed mechanical edit - elimination of old-style Wikipedia links in Ireland

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Tue Mar 19 16:11:57 UTC 2019

On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 at 13:04, Colm Moore <colmmoore72 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> 2. I add the wikipedia tag to a variety of objects, not just geographical entities.

Please don't do that; at least not in the manner discussed below.

> Politician's office
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/6343961415

That object does not map Leo Varadkar TD (presumably, it's his
registered office?). If you wish to add a Wikipedia tag, use something
like:

   occupant:wikipedia=en:Leo Varadkar

> Memorials
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4217632743

That should be subject:wikipedia=en:Lafcadio Hearn.

> Historic feature
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/6307110273

manufacturer:wikipedia=en:Henry_Pooley_%26_Son

> 3. There are some features where the name of the Wikipedia entry has changed, e.g. https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3079181210/history and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Col%C3%A1iste_Moibh%C3%AD - I have no recollection of adding the OSM entry originally. :)

This is why its batter to tag with Wikidata IDs.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing